The HBAS National Board is happy to announce its new national leadership team and open positions. Following elections in December of 2019, Yvonne O. Osirim, AB ’01, JD ’07, will serve as President of the Board and Monica Clark, AB '06, who previously served as a Communications Co-Chair, will now serve as Vice President. Previous President of HBAS, Mark Price, AB ’98, MBA ’04, will continue his tenure with the Board as the Treasurer. Rounding out the executive team is Kimberly Caine, AB '03, who has been reappointed as Secretary and Ryan Leslie, AB '98, who will continue as a Communications Co-Chair. B.J. Merriewether, AB '09, has been reappointed as the Alumni Affairs Chair and will focus on the continued reinvigoration of our local chapters.
Assessing the Past Three Years
As we look forward to a new leadership team and onboarding new Board members, the Board would like to take stock of accomplishments over the past three years:
- Hosting receptions and Hutchins Center tours during May reunions
- Co-hosting Your Harvard: DC at the National Museum of African-American History and Culture
- Supporting the University in its race-based admissions lawsuit, including serving as a signatory to several amicus briefs
- Re-engaging local chapters, including DC, LA (SoCal), South Florida, and Chicago
The Board is excited to embark on the next three years with a focus on the following:
- HBAW: We know it's been a while...but we are eagerly working towards the next Harvard Black Alumni Weekend!
- Public Interest Fellowship: HBAS will sponsor one student for the summer of 2019 through the Harvard Summer Public Fellowship program, and, with your support, we hope to continue this program in 2020.
- Partnering with local Harvard Clubs
- Broadening the membership of HBAS
- Reengaging current members
- Reengaging local chapters across the country
Opportunities to Get Involved
The Board has had a fortunate history of dedicated members and looks forward to welcoming new members with fresh perspectives. For those of you who are interested in joining the National Board, we welcome you to submit a resume and one-page statement of interest to email@example.com by March 25, 2019. Details regarding open positions are available here.